Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between LTI 1.3 and LTI 1.1?
LTI 1.3 is based upon LTI 1.1, but uses the IMS Security Framework, which is based on the industry standard protocol IETF OAuth 2.0 for authentication services along with JSON Web Tokens (JWT) for secure message signing and the Open ID Connect workflow paradigm.
What additional functionality does the Zoom’s initial release of LTI 1.3 provide?
The initial release of LTI 1.3 in LTI Pro does not provide any additional functionality for Instructors or Students that use the LTI. The user interface for LTI 1.3 is the same as the user interface for LTI 1.1.
What is LTI Advantage and how is it related to LTI 1.3?
LTI Advantage is a set of three LTI services based on the core LTI 1.3 specification:
- Assignment and Grade Services seamlessly syncs grades, progress, and comments from multiple sources into an LMS platform’s gradebook, greatly reducing faculty effort and the chance of errors.
- Deep Linking supports a natural and efficient user workflow between a learning object repository or content tool and the LMS platform when developing courses and programs, again saving teachers’ time.
- Names and Role Provisioning Services securely shares course roster/enrollment information with the requesting tool to enhance users’ experiences and provide administrators a basis for who has used the tool and importantly, who has not.
What LTI Pro enhancements does Zoom plan to support that leverages LTI Advantage?
The following LTI Pro enhancements will leverage the following LTI Advantage services:
Assignment and Grade Service The following enhancements will leverage the Assignment and Grade Service provided by LTI Advantage:
- Zoom meeting attendance will update the LMS platform’s gradebook
- Zoom poll results will update the LMS platform’s gradebook
Names and Role Provisioning Services The following enhancements will leverage the Names and Role Provisioning Services:
- Restrict access to Zoom meetings associated with a course to only users that are in the course roster
- Restrict access to Zoom cloud recordings for course meetings to only user that are in the class roster
- Add users in the class roster to pre-assigned breakout rooms.
If we have LTI Pro installed in our LMS should we upgrade it from LTI 1.1 to LTI 1.3?
No. There is no need to upgrade an LTI Pro LTI based on LTI 1.1 to LTI 1.3.,
Can a course have both an LTI 1.1 and LTI 1.3 installed simultaneously?
Yes. Both LTI 1.1 and LTI 1.3 LTIs use the same LTI database. For instance, meetings created on an LTI based on LTI 1.1 will appear in an LTI based on LTI 1.3 and vice versa.
How long will Zoom support LTI 1.1?
Zoom’s LTI Pro will support LTI 1.1 indefinitely. Going forward there may be LTI Pro enhancements that will require LTI 1.3.