Zoom’s Slack App lets you start an instant meeting or join a scheduled meeting by using the /zoom command directly in a Slack channel, private group, or direct message. When the meeting ends, you will receive a notification that includes the meeting summary and, if applicable, a link to the meeting recording.
This guide covers:
- Installation and Configuration
- Using the Zoom App
- Uninstalling the Zoom App
- Meeting Summary and Recording Link
- Transitioning from Previously Enabled Slack Integration
- Known Limitations
- Free or Paid Zoom Account
- A Slack Account
- Pre-approval of the Slack app in the Zoom Marketplace Note: If the app is not pre-approved, please contact your Zoom admin.
Installation and Configuration
Installing and configuring from the Zoom Marketplace
Note: If you are currently using the Zoom Slack integration previously configured for your account, pre-approving the Slack App from the Marketplace will require all users on the account to individually re-authorize their Slack account with Zoom. For more information please see the Transitioning from Previously Enabled Slack Integration section below.
- Login to your Zoom account and navigate to the Zoom Marketplace.
- Search for Slack and click the app.
- If the app is not pre-approved, please contact your Zoom admin to approve this app for your account.
- Click Visit Site to Install, confirm the permissions the app requires and choose Allow.
- You will be redirected to a page letting you know that your admin must pre-approve the app in the Zoom Marketplace. Once you have confirmed this, click Add to Slack.
- You will be redirected to your Slack account to complete authorization.
- Once you return to your Slack account, use the slash command /zoom and press enter.
- Click Authorize Zoom.
- Confirm the requested permissions and choose Allow.
- Save your configuration and the Zoom app will now be installed on your Slack Account.
Using the Zoom App on Slack
Zoom Slack App Features
- Zoom Command Help: Type /zoom help to list the Zoom commands available.
- Start a Zoom Meeting: Type /zoom to start a meeting.
Note: This will use your default settings from your meeting settings and create a meeting in your Zoom Meeting list. If you have turned on the setting: “Use Personal Meeting ID (PMI) when scheduling a meeting”, Slack will start your meeting using your PMI. Additionally, if your meeting settings require a password, the password will be displayed in the Slack channel for all members.
When the meeting ends, the channel will receive the following notification on the meeting details:
Note: Meeting Summary and Recording are not supported for Basic/Free users.
If a cloud recording is generated, the channel will receive the following notification to view the recording:
- Start a Zoom Meeting with a Topic: Type /zoom meeting [Meeting Topic]
- Join a Zoom Meeting: Type /zoom join <Meeting ID> or /zoom join <personal link name>
- Start your personal meeting room: Type /zoom join me
- Start a Call with Zoom: The Slack team owner will need to go to Settings & Permissions
In the Settings tab, expand on Calls and select Enable calling in Slack, using: and select the Zoom app. Once configured, select Save
Selecting the Call button with the hint “Start a call with Zoom” will start an instant Zoom meeting. A channel will receive the following notification:
- Logout from Zoom: Type /zoom logout to log out of Zoom from all your Slack channels
Uninstalling the Zoom App
- Login to your Zoom account and navigate to the Zoom Marketplace.
- Search for Slack and click the app or navigate to your authorized apps via Manage Apps and choose Slack.
- Choose the Manage tab and click Uninstall.
- Confirm the dialogue and click OK.
Meeting Summary and Recording Link
Receiving Meeting Summary and Recording link in a public channel
- If you start a meeting for a public channel, when the meeting ends the Zoom app will post the meeting summary and recording link when available to the channel.
Receiving Meeting Summary and Recording link in a private channel or group DM
- You can receive the meeting summary and recording link in a private channel or group DM only if the Zoom bot is a member of the channel. To add the bot:
- Invite the Zoom bot by typing: /invite @Zoom
- The Zoom bot will be added and meetings started from the channel will post the meeting summary and recording link when available.
Note: Adding the Zoom bot to a group DM or a 1:1 DM will create a new chat.
Meeting summary and recording link is not provided in 1:1 DMs. See Known Limitations
Zoom bot is not available for “older” integrations. Do not attempt to upgrade the integration unless you want to change the integration behavior as described in Transitioning from Previously Enabled Slack Integration. You can tell if you are using the “older” integration if your Zoom app help screen looks like this:
You are using the “newer” integration if your help screen looks like this:
Zoom bot is only available for integrations installed after 4/7/2019. If you installed prior to this date, please update your integration using the following steps:
- Go to the Slack App Directory and find the Zoom app
- Click the “App Homepage” button on the left column
- Click the “Add to Slack” button and authorize
Transitioning from Previously Enabled Slack Integration
If you wish to install the Marketplace Slack integration and have already configured the Slack integration with Zoom prior to the Zoom Marketplace, you will need to be aware of all users on the account being required to login/authenticate the integration between Slack and Zoom. This is required due to an increased security measure for this integration. The Zoom Marketplace now uses OAuth 2.0 for all integrations to ensure your data is kept more secure. The user flow once the Slack integration from the Marketplace is enabled is as follows:
- Upon admin Pre-approval in the Zoom Marketplace, when users on Slack attempt to use the /zoom slash command, they will receive this message:
- The user will need to click Authorize Zoom.
- The user will be redirected to Zoom and required to sign in, if not already. Once signed in, the user will be required to Allow permissions for the integration. They will need to click Allow to continue.
- The user will then see an Authorization page for Slack, they will need to confirm the permissions and click Authorize.
- After these steps are completed, the user will be able to use the Slack integration. This is a one time Authorization.
- Meetings started from Slack 1:1 DMs do not support receiving meeting summary and recording links. This feature is only supported in meetings started from Slack channels or group DMs.
For additional help or technical support, please submit a ticket.